Monday, August 16, 2010

August 9, 2010

So, the week was pretty sweet, we got a new guy in the apartment on Tuesday. Elder Wiah from Liberia. He's really tight. He's like 6'4" and really chill. He's pretty quiet but he's really cool. We had to go to a bus station in Cape Coast on Tuesday to get him. So he's companions with Elder Keller now. A while ago we randomly me this guy named Eric. We were teaching someone on their front porch and he just came u and sat down and listened for like a minute and left. He doesn't speak any English, but we told him we'd come teach him some time. So we teach him on Wednesday, not thinking he was super serious or anything. We taught him about the Restoration. Then he said he's been to every church in Moree except the Latter-day Saints and he'd never found the truth. It was pretty sweet. He came to church on Sunday that was sweet too. He's got nine kids, four sets of twins and one single! Crazy! So hopefully all goes well with that.

There's this guy in the ward that's so sweet, Nana Kofi. He just joined the church a little under a year ago. He's probably like 80 or 90. His wife died not too long ago, so he's super excited to go to the temple in September. We visit him a ton just because he's so cool. We pass by his house every day, and he's always just chillin in the window, and when we come by he pumps his fist in the air and gives the sweetest toothless smile ever. The only English he knows is "How are you" and "I'm quite fine sir." So sweet.

I got to do my first baptisms on Saturday. They were people some sisters taught, and they asked us to run the baptism. So since I haven't done it before, I got to baptize. It was pretty sweet. I wasn't very good, but I didn't drown anybody :) It was a mom and three kids, so it was really cool. Me and Elder Adams have a baptism scheduled in a few weeks, so we'll be busy preparing some people for that in the the next few weeks. It's gonna be in the ocean! It'll be sweet.

Anyway that's the big news of the week. We went to Takoradi today to play football against the combined Takoradi and Sekondi zones. We beat em 5-3. Takoradi is about an hour and half west of Cape Coast. This week is the last week of my first transfer! People will find out about transfers today, so I could get transferred but...I'm not. haha. Our zone will get shaken up a little bit though because both our zone leaders are leaving. One is going home and on is becoming AP. So we shall see. I didn't eat anything too funny this week...just eating a lot of rice, egg sandwiches and Gari. I had some banku that was suuuuper spicy. I had it when I was getting sick and it made my nose run so bad. I like Banku though, it's pretty good. It's like fufu but it's made out of corn and casava instead of just casava. The food is so spicy here, I love it. I got a package from Greg and Mindy today, stocked with candy :)

Well mission life is going great! Couldn't ask for more!

I heard Shaq went to the Celtics, that's weird. Let me know how its going as college football gets ramped up again. Thanks for everything! And remember, always stay fresh! :)

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment