Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 23, 2010

Wowzers, I am really tired right now, so if I say anything weird, I apologize in advance :)

Sounds like all is gong sweet back there. That's exciting school starts today! BYU independent...I don't know about that! But we'll see I guess, I'm glad I'll get to see Texas in Provo when I get back though!

So this week was kind of weird, we were doing a bunch of other stuff so we didn't have a ton of time to proselyte. We only had one day of full proselyting scheduled. Tuesday we had zone conference, it was pretty sweet. President Sabey spoke about agency and it was super sweet. So that took up our whole Tuesday with travel and everything. Wednesday was our only full proselyting day so we worked hard to prepare for our baptism (in the ocean!) next week. We're starting to get all the records of the people together so we don't have to worry about it last minute. 5 people are getting baptized on the 4th of September, and then we're going to have another at the end of September for a few more people. Thursday the new zone leader, Elder Wright, came on splits with us, and we spent the first few hours clearing the land for the chapel. I got to use a cutlass (machete) for the first time, my hands got eaten up!! It was sweet though, we and like 6 other guys cleared a ton of land. Thursday night we taught Sammy, I don't know if I told you about him, with Elder Wright. Friday we started the day by clearing the land again for the chapel. Elder Adams and I went to town on this gnarly bush with our cutlasses. It was sweet!

Saturday morning there was a Pan-African service project, so we went and helped with that. Moree ward was assigned to paint an old hospital in Cape Coast, so we went with them to do that. You should've seen the hospital dad...It was basically 10 or so little one-story, one-room houses, each with its own function. It looked like an old scout camp or something. And it's still a pretty busy hospital! After that Elder Adams and I went to Moree to meet with some people that are getting baptized. Then we went straight back to Yamoransa for a baptism. Two people I taught several times on splits, Randy and Timothy, got baptized. They're both sweet guys. Me and Elder Adams were the witnesses for that, 10 people got baptized. I played the keyboard at the baptism, first time I have so far! Oh we also taught Francis on Saturday. Sunday was pretty normal, just church and then visited some people.

Anyway, other than that the week was sweet! We had a "world cup" between the Cape Coast, Assin Fosu, Swedru and Abura zones today. Cape Coast cleaned up, and I scored my first goal! It was so sweet haha. I can see why people get addicted to football, it was like the best feeling ever when I scored! And it tied the game up and sent it to penalty kicks so that was sweet too :) Learning Fante is pretty rough, but I'm doing my best. There are no books or anything so it's all oral pretty much. And the language is soooo subtle. For example, to say "I know you" you say minyim." To say "I don't know" you say "minnyim" holding the n for a split second longer. But it's coming.

Hope all goes well with school for H and all that is going great for you guys! Africa is still sweet and I'm loving life here! We got some burgers today and Elder Keller paid because it's his one year mark, so that makes you love life a little more :) Brother Pratt is cooking jollof rice and....octopus (!) for us on Thursday!

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment