Thursday, June 9, 2011

June 6, 2011

The Kwamo chapel--almost complete!

Elder Brown & Elder Timothy at one of their recent baptisms--




Wow... is it really June?? Time is quite a thing huh? I really can't wrap my brain about what all has transpired the last year for me... it all seems like a big dream. I mean, I have been in Africa for a whole year... what the heck?! Haha. But anyway enough about that, with God time is naught, and so for me, time is naught right now too!

We had another good week in Kwamo. No big news with transfers. Me and Elder Timothy still together in Kwamo, Elder Kwapong's new companion in the apartment is Elder Leko, from Uganda. He was my old zone leader in Cape Coast. Elder Wiah went down to Assin Fosu, our new zone leader is named Elder Kouakou from Cote d'Ivoire. Other than that, nothing really! Starting to feel older and older on mission as more new guys come. There are about 5 greenies in Kumasi now, saw them all today. So with the 6 from the transfer where I started training Elder Timothy, and the 5 in this transfer, there are quite a few guys less than 4 months on mission in Kumasi. It’s nice to feel a little senior haha.

The week was pretty normal. We were in a threesome with Elder Kwapong for a few days. We gotta get more investigators. But it’s hard because Kwamo chapel is STILL not finished. Man its so frustrating. Tons of people we taught where the teaching just can't go much further because they can't come to church. But, we just do what we can. Our sweet new investigator from last week is awesome. We had a lesson with him this week where we started the Restoration lesson. After teaching about the Great Apostasy, we asked him if he believed that the church was lost. He said at first that no, he believed the church survived because the people had the Holy Ghost. We discussed a little more, talked about the Priesthood, Apostles, Prophets, changing ordinances, etc. And by the end of the lesson he said "Wow, my whole life I had never realized those things... I guess the church really was lost". The next lesson we talked about the Restoration and it was Legit! He came to church on Sunday! :D He has his own car so he can drive all the way to UST. He has an old friend who is a member and they had a great time together at church. I am so stoked to baptize an older guy! I have only baptized like 2 people over 30 haha. Well I guess I shouldn't be premature, but I am pretty sure he will get baptized. He loves the Book of Mormon, is already reading that "Family Guidebook" thing from the church that his friend gave him. He is a serious serious guy!

Thursday we went to Dichemso to do a back-up lesson for our temple goal. President Sabey's last mission goal is to have every missionary prepare one family to be sealed in the temple, I probably told you about that a while back. Luckily the family I prepared in Moree went a few weeks ago, but we haven't been able to find families in Kwamo to prepare. We went to Dichemso to teach a family there. It has been a veryyy difficult goal, because so much depends on the other people and the wards! But we have accomplished every goal with President Sabey, so I am sure with the right amount of work, this one will too. We had a SWEET lesson with a recent convert on Thursday. We were going to talk about missionary work, but he asked about the temple. We had an awesome lesson about the temple. We talked about baptisms for the dead and all that stuff, and he is super excited to go and do the work for his parents who have died. Even said that he will be ready in exactly one year to go for his endowment. Pretty sweet! It could even work out perfect to where maybe when I go to the temple just before I go home, he could come for his endowment, that would be Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

It rained like crazy on Friday. It was actually a nice little blessing though. We were at a recent convert’s house visiting him there. He lives pretty far away from Kwamo, in a town called Okyerekurom. He had not been to church in two weeks, so we were concerned about him. We went to teach him, and the lesson was normal. Then the rain started pounding. We made it underneath a small shack (we were teaching under his mango tree where we always meet) and just sat there with him for over an hour. While we were there we just laughed and talked about random things, we got pretty wet because the rain was so strong, so we were laughing about that, and all the kids running around and playing and such. I think it was the best thing for him. As we just sat there and watched the rain come down, we had a nice, easy, fun time together. And he showed up to church a half hour early on Sunday! So it all works out huh? :)

Life is good! Just pluggin ahead as usual. Kwamo chapel should be open in two weeks... who knows though haha. I am not wearing my Heat shirt at all this week! Go Mavs! Who is their starting five again? The Rangers go the World Series... the Mavs to the Finals... WHILE I AM IN AFRICA!!!! That means, dare I say.... BYU in the... no... yep I guess I will say it... BYU going to the National Championship this year :) Haha. I would be so happy... but so mad! The package last week was bomb. General Conference is da best haha. Thanks for the magazine. Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut spread is THE BOMB!!! wow, so good. Send lots of that :)

Welp... I love you guys. Happy Father's Day, Dad. Love you guys, keep doing great things and telling me about it! I will try to here, somehow, someway!

Love,

Elder Brown Akwesi Poku


No comments:

Post a Comment