Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 13, 2011



We took a zone "field trip" for P-Day, went to go see the Barakese Dam outside of Kumasi this morning. It was pretty cool, it was weird to be the one "guided" through something since pretty much every second of my life is spent trying to "guide" people through stuff. But it was cool. A little lake in the jungle, so I got some sweet pics. Now I am just in town sitting in some nice AC! Haha, you always seem to comment about that :)

Welp... it was a good week. Missionary work is divine. I could end there and say I love you, goodbye, but I guess I will give you some more details :) First off, way to go Mavs! But why oh why while I am in Africa do the Rangers and Mavs and whoever else start to bust out??? Oh well, just the blessings of serving a mission I guess.

The Lord is working in wonderful ways in Kwamo. Yes it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy frustrating not having the chapel finished, but it’s all coming kakrakakra. The investigators we do have our golden, and even though they have to make some sacrifices to come to church, they are doing it.

Now yesterday was probably one of the coolest experiences I have had on mission yet. Church was nice, I was always get a little frustrated at church because I want everything to go perfectly for the investigators. And then after church is just crazy, everybody is asking you a million questions, everyone trying to get you to do this or that, after church I just want to go home and sleep and be ready for P-Day. So it always takes a little extra effort to walk to the bus station to catch a trotro to Kwamo after church. But, we always do somehow! When we get to Kwamo though, it starts to rain pretty hard. Most of the people we had planned to meet that day lived in Ejisu and were going to come meet us in Kwamo, but because of the rain, it didn’t work out. So we basically had the rest of Sunday without any appointments, which is extremely hard since the next day is P-Day and you just want the week to be over with. The last thing you want is just to have to contact for 6 hours to finish the day. So we were down by Alma Bakery talking to a sister about something, but we knew we had to get going to do something. I racked my brain trying to think of someone to go to, and the only one I thought of was an investigator from way back who came to church once with a member in Kwamo, but who we hadn't been able to meet for like a month, mostly because we hadn't met her husband and we didn't want to go visit her in the house alone. I thought "I am sure she won't be home, its awkward if we visit her because we have not met the husband yet, and he probably won't be home either" and tried to think of something else. But the Elder Timothy said, "lets go see her". I still didn't want to, but since I couldn't think of anyone else, I said why not. So we start walking there, in the rain, and I am just trying to think of what to do next since I was sure she wouldn't be there again or her husband wouldn't be home. We got to the gate of the compound and it seemed like no one was home. I stopped at the gate, but Elder Timothy kept walking up to the door. As he got closer, a man came out of the house. A big guy with his shirt off. I thought "crap, we're doomed…" The man went back into the house without saying a word to us, and came back out with a shirt on. I was still thinking we are just doomed. But then he gets this big smile on his face and greets us. We greet him, and tell him we are missionaries from the Church. His smile gets even bigger and says "No way... 15 minutes ago I asked my wife if the Latter-day Saint missionaries were ever going to come to teach us". And that changed everything! We taught the man along with her, and capped it with a perfect placement of The Book of Mormon. He has been searching for truth for a long time. In his own words he said "The Bible is pretty confusing. Someone ordained of God needs to come along to help us to understand it better and to understand God better". Can't ask for a better start to a discussion about the Restoration and The Book of Mormon. So we had an amazing lesson, he said he would read at least the first 10 pages of The Book of Mormon before we met again, and is way excited to learn more. I had been pretty bummed that all of our appointments failed and just wanted to take a break or wait out the rain or something, but the Lord had other plans. Thankfully Elder Timothy knew to speak up when he felt something to do, and thankfully we followed through on it.

Well, that’s the main stuff from the week. I am so excited for all our investigators. Our next baptism will be the 3 July. I got a letter from Elder Nzuki today - 10 people have been baptized in Moree since I left! Way sweet! The chapel should be finished by now from what he said in the letter.

Well, I love you guys, so so much! Keep up all that you are doing, I will do my best here! Thanks for all that you do for me. Happy Father's day again dad, and happy birthday to Grandma H! You all are the best!!

Love,

Elder Brown Akwesi Poku

No comments:

Post a Comment