Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 18, 2011

Yo good morning! Great to hear all the updates again, it’s been a good day so far today in Kumasi. Just the usual p-day activity, football and hanging out at the Bantama chapel for a little bit. Today is transfer news, but I am pretty sure I am staying put. The first transfer day in a long time where I haven't been anxious all day! Last week was pretty sweet, but first, thanks everyone for the birthday stuff! My birthday was great, thanks to all of the input from many :) I had frosted flakes and cocoa krispies in the morning, some teriyaki noodles for lunch, and pudding cake thingys for dessert! The Timothy's made some Banku and okro stew that we ate at their house at night, so I am still saving the fettuccini for another night :) And all the gifts are great! I am wearing the sandals even as we speak. They are much better than the one cedi pieces of plastic I have been wearing for the last 10 months :)

Anyway, getting on to the week, Tuesday was a solid day. We met with Bro. A, read the Book of Mormon with him. Sweet to see what the Book of Mormon can do for someone. I am glad we decided to focus on that with him. He has been a member for about 4 months now. We go over what he has read with him, but he really makes sure to understand it really well. He will take a full page of notes for the chapters that he reads. We are at 1 Nephi ch 11 with him now, he read 1 Nephi 8 (tree of life) last week and liked it a lot - esp. how Lehi went to help his family take the fruit too. We always sit underneath a mango tree to teach him, so it was funny to use the mango tree as a way to teach it better. We taught his wife, Regina, and son, Harrison, later on in the week, and Bro. A helped so well. He even started teaching them himself out of the Restoration pamphlet he has. So it was pretty easy to teach them, since they already know! Regina says she wants to be baptized, as well as Harrison, so we will be helping them be ready for when the chapel opens (hopefully first week of May! we can only pray).

Wednesday we worked at the chapel, always nice working there. We worked with Cosmos there, more on him coming! We taught Bro. K again on Wednesday. He is doing really well to read the Book of Mormon, so there is potential!

Thursday of course was a Happy Birthday to me! I can say I was definitely excited going to bed Wednesday night, and the first thought that popped in my head Thursday morning was "It’s your birthday!” That has happened since I was like 12 haha. And it really was a great birthday. Thanks for all the gifts and snacks and food and decoration. It made it all great, a little like home. I put up my own decorations, ate my frosted flakes and smiled to myself all morning. I don't know why, but in the morning I prayed that some little miracle would happen for my birthday. Not that I don't see miracles everyday, but I just asked for something special, even if it just was the stuff from the family, that'd be fine, but I just asked for something. The day went on fine, taught good people, met new people. But then at night, we had an appointment to teach Cosmos for the second time. I was excited for it all day because we had talked to Cosmos even that morning and he said he was ready, he had kept his promise, and was excited to learn more. We were going to meet at the chapel at 7 to teach him, so we get there at 7, and he is not there. We wait til 7:20 or so, still not there. His phone is switched off too. Usually phone switched off during the time of a teaching appointment means "I know the missionaries are going to call me, so I will just switch of my phone so I don't have to talk to them". I was pretty bummed. We walked down to Alma bakery so Elder Timothy could buy bread, and then headed up to the station to catch a car to go home. I was still praying that some miracle would happen, but I had given up hope in meeting Cosmos. A couple of cars passed that we could have gotten in, but people got in them before us. Finally one stopped right in front of us, and we started to get in. As we were climbing in, the man getting out of the car in front of us was none other than...Cosmos. He was late coming back from school (he goes to night classes in Ejisu bc he works at the chapel during the day). His phone had died and he said he was rushing as fast as he could to meet us there. Pretty sure that was my miracle :) We taught Cosmos, it was great, and taught him again on Saturday night - finished the Restoration lesson and gave him a Book of Mormon. And he came to church on Sunday... I can't ask for much more can I? Cosmos is a sweet sweet guy. Bro. Timothy took him under his wing when he came to church on Sunday, so he is going to turn him into quite the leader I am sure. I am way excited for Cosmos. And it was all because of that miracle on my birthday...

Well, a lot else happened this week, but my time is running short. It rained like CRAZY last night, the rainy season is really starting! Thank goodness! My birthday was great, and we are getting more serious people to teach. This week was great…I felt more guided by the Spirit than I ever have on my mission. Things are really coming together for me here. I love you guys a lot :) A LOT! :) AND GUESS WHAT!!! YOU ARE GETTING OLD BECAUSE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE KID THAT IS A TEENAGER :D !! Holy cow! Never thought I would make it here!

Welp, love you guys so much, mission is a wonderful thing!

Love,

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment