Monday, April 2, 2012

April 2, 2012


So anyway, life is cool out here. The week was good as normal... can't say I have really ever had a "bad week" on mission. Yeah maybe there has been some rough times, but honestly at the end of every day and every week I've been able to lie in bed and say "yep.... today was good" and then I immediately go into hibernation.... until 6:00 the next morning. That is one good thing that I have had out here - the best sleep ever!!!!! I don't think I have laid in bed for more than a minute without falling asleep in the past 12+ months, and I am out like a rock until the alarm goes off in the morning. It would be interesting to see how long I could sleep w/o an alarm if I didn't have an alarm waking me up.... I bet at least 12 or 1. So anyway, things are going along well!

We don't have a ton of investigators still, and we are not teaching as many lessons as we would like to, but we are out all day from 10 until 9 and doing the best we can. We do have a baptism planned for this weekend though, for two guys who have been coming to church for awhile. The first is Gabriel, a bus driver who me and Elder Speechly contacted a long long time ago. He works with a member, so he was able to talk about the church a lot with him, and after a few weeks of teaching, he was at church and wanting to be baptized. Finally two weeks ago, we were able to buckle down and pin down a solid baptismal date, so we will pray all works for this Saturday. He is a really lovable guy and just absolutely loves the church. He is married with three kids, but we have had difficulty meeting them all together. That’s gotta be our focus though!!!

The second is Samuel. I think I told you about him before - the guy who knows the Bible like the back of his hand. He is doing well too, and all should be good for the baptism on Saturday. Outside of those guys though, our teaching pool is pretty slim!!!! I guess we have several investigators, but all of them are just really busy and can't meet that often. Which is ok... but it leaves us with not much to do during the days some times. So we've been doing a lot of contacting and a lot of walking!!!! Two cool guys we do have are Dunstan and Anthony. I contacted Dunstan several weeks ago while I was on splits with Elder Kitchen. It was funny when I contacted him, because he was just chillin outside his house, I went up to him and said "maaha, ette sen" and he just looked at me and said "please, I don't speak Twi". I was pretty surprised because I have never contacted someone who doesn't speak Twi before. But it was a good conversation because we got to ask him why he was in Sunyani and not able to speak Twi. He said he was from the Upper East Region - near to Bolgatanga, the farthest north city in Ghana - and that he had been in Sunyani for the past few years as a student at the Catholic university. We were surprised that he hadn't learned Twi in that time, but he said it just wasn't necessary - all of the classes are in English, and everyone he stays with only speaks English, even if they know Twi. He said we could come back later and teach, so we came back to meet him and his friend Anthony there. We had some good lessons, got up through the Restoration, and gave them The Restoration DVD to watch on their own. When we came back to teach after they had watched it, they were super interested and had a lot of questions and then at the end they asked us all (Wilson, my rasta man, came with us to teach them as well) what the Church and the Restoration of the Gospel through Joseph Smith had done for us. It was a pretty sweet opportunity to bear our testimonies and let him know what the Gospel is all about!!!! At the end, we gave them copies of the Book of Mormon, and they were excited to read. They are going back up to Bolgatanga for a week, so we won't see them for two weeks, but we will be praying hard that they have time to read and ponder and pray before we meet again!!!! They could be powerful guys for the church in Nkwabeng.

On Friday I had quite the musical day. Wilson wants me to come and jam with him sometimes, so we usually go to his place and play reggae hymns for an hour or so. This week we practiced our First Noel, because Wilson wants to record that, then a song Wilson wrote - "We Thank Jah (For a Prophet)" - which is some lyrics Wilson wrote, with me singing the verses of We Thank Thee o God for a Prophet. Then the last song we did was "Keep the Commandments" - also set in a reggae style with extra words written by Wilson. He wants to go and record them... so I guess I will have to get the OK for that!!!!! The next musical thing was that we went to see an investigator named Michael. He was sick with Malaria, so he said he couldn't meet, but that he wanted to talk to us for a few minutes. We passed by his church while we walked with him, and I noticed there was a legit drum set inside. Somehow under my breath, I said that I wanted to play the drums, but since it was inside his church, I didn't really ask him. But, Elder McFarland told him I wanted to, so he said no problem, let’s go! So I went inside and started playing the drums for a few minutes - I am not that good at the drums...... So then he turns on the keyboard and starts playing a little bit - he knew some basic chords. He asked me to play a reggae beat on the drums, and I said I didn't know reggae that well, so he said he would show me. He sits down and starts playing the drums like a pro!!!! Seriously he was so good. I sat down on the keyboard and we just jammed for a few minutes... it was way tight. It was just weird that he was so good, and I had no idea he could play! So now we are like best friends, maybe some potential! But he is the drummer for his church... so …

Lastly, we taught Effah that night. I mentioned how we had jammed with Wilson earlier in the day, and he said that he had recorded some music too! It was fun, it was Ghanaian rap/gospel/high life music. It was just funny to hear a recording of him singing..... Effah is the coolest, nicest, funniest guy ever. He just kept saying that he wants to know everything about the Gospel and he wants us to keep teaching him more and more. No wahala!!! Yebekyere no dodo!!!!!!

So… that is all really from the week! Things are going along great and me and Elder McFarland are doing great together. Well, thanks for everything again, you guys are the best!!!!!

Love,

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment